From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Charlie Nelson via
CnC-List
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 4:45 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: cenel...@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List listed weights

+1 to Chuck regarding marketing.

OTOH, given the potential variations in the layup of our 'not one design boats'
as they were manufactured, with different masts, keels, interior fit-outs, etc.
etc., I doubt that even the designer/builder knows how much the boat weighs
when it leaves the factory.

As a minor example, when I had my centerboard rebuilt for my 1995 36 XL/kcb, I
contacted Rob Ball who designed the boat to ask how much lead to add to the
inside of the fiberglass board. I could not find a reference to this in any
drawings I was able to obtain after C&C went out of business.

I don't recall his exact words but they were something like "...we poured lead
or lead shot inside the fiberglass until it looked pretty full...". The board
or the boat were never weighed at the factory.

The yard who rebuilt the board did the same and they started a pool among the
workers who estimated how much it would weigh when filled. Turned out it
weighed in at 924 lbs and the office secretary won the pool!!

Unless one of our boats is weighed or measured for a rating certificate, its
estimated weight/displacement/etc. is mostly a guesstimate with a wide
(probably +/- 10%) range IMHO.

Charlie Nelson

Water Phantom

1995 C&C 36XL/kcb