From: Joel Aronson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Joel Aronson <joel.aron...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thu, Dec 19, 2019 2:23 pm
Subject: Re: Stus-List SailTimer Experiences-Tacktick

FWIW,I had one om my 35/3 without issue.
Joel
On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 2:18 PM Neil Gallagher via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

  Not trying to redirect the thread, but since you raised the topic of
Tacktick, I've been meaning to see what the list's response to this might be.

 I've had Tacktick (Raymarine) wind system for about 5 years, and I've added
inputs from GPS, speed/depth, so have a fair bit invested in the system.
However, I've never really had satisfactory performance with the wind sensor,
it drops out more that half the time, and for racing that makes it almost
useless.  This summer I put a new battery and bearings in the sensor, got
marginally better performance, then I tried hoisting one of my displays up to
the spreaders (don't ask) to see if it acts as a relay to the sensors in the
cockpit, and that didn't help much.  Finally got through to someone in the UK
(I think) in Raymarine's tech support, who pretty much told me that a 50' mast
is really too far for the wind sensor.

 So my question too: what have others found with regards the the Tacktick wind
and at what mast height are you using them?

 Neil Gallagher
 Weatherly, 35-1
 Glen Cove, NY

 On Dec 19, 2019, at 13:43, John Conklin via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>