Dennis,
That is interesting - on my 1981 C&C 34 there is a second propane locker on the
port side - I keep a spare propane tank in it. It has a drain to outside the
hull above water line same as on starboard.  Assuming you have the through hull
on the outside on port, I would guess that a previous owner glued/painted the
lid down and you just need to pry it open.  The hinges are symmetric about the
helm seat on my boat.
Hope that helps,
Nathan

- -