I use a PYI system and have not had a water leakage at the shaft.  The water I get in the bilge is coming down the mast, because I mounted a hard vang as low as possible to the cabin top.  Mistake because found it almost impossible to seal.  However the seal I use does limit that problem until the heavy downpours. I do have a Rule separate float switch mounted forward (slightly higher) of the low point in my bilge with the Rule pump in the low point.  I keep the switch "off" when not aboard since the boat is on a mooring and the last thing I need is a dead battery because the float got stuck "on".

Don Kern
Fireball C&C 35 Mk2
Bristol RI