As for the Water Witch, I had a similar experience (only in the opposite way),
The switch would get contaminated and would stay ON, generally a much more
problematic issue.I went back to the Rule flapper float switches.  Not a
perfect solution, I will agree.As for having a manual switch, I have two made
by Rule with an on/off/automatic switch position and an LED light that turns on
when the pump is running.  I really like the light, and have a story related to
it:We had just gotten Astralis and were leaving the harbor to motorsail 120
miles up to Madeira Beach.  About a mile out of the marina, I put a buddy at
the helm to go down below and check everything.  At the helm station, I saw the
bilge pump light lit up, and went checking only to find water running in under
the engine, and after pulling out the large storage box behind the stern berth
I found there was a crack in the exhaust hose as it exited the boat. We turned
the boat around, went back to the dock and had it fixed 3 hours later.Had it
not been for the LED on the light switch, I might not have noticed the pump
running, and the problem could have gotten worse quickly.Food for thought,Bruce
 Sent from Samsung tablet.
-------- Original message --------From: Charlie Nelson via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 3/14/20  12:36 PM  (GMT-05:00) To:
cnc-list@cnc-list.com Cc: cenel...@aol.com Subject: Re: Stus-List Float switch
fail tale (formerly stuffing box leak rates)
My charger outputs go only to the batteries, which power the relay panel
switches/breakers, one of which is the bilge pump. Should I use a fuse on the
battery positive terminal in addition to the circuit breakers on the breaker
panel?
(I don't recall whether the bilge pump circuit breaker was 'thrown' or not in
the tale below).

I now also have an electronic switch--unfortunately it gets dirty often from
the bilge and doesn't work until its cleaned off by hand. I think it is a Water
Witch 200 (?).

Charlie