I overfilled my boat's tank once when we ran it for the first time and the fuel
gage was broken.  It wasn't much but the rainbow was on the water before I
could stop it.  I since replaced the gage.

I never fill my boat's fuel tank unless I am taking a long trip.  Don't want
all that weight onboard or the fuel going stale.   I've heard stories of racers
calculating the commute to a race and measuring the fuel for a regatta.

I bought my boat with an unknown amount of fuel and calculated the fuel to be
over five years old.  I ran the level down that season and then pumped the last
10 gallons into jerry cans I gave to a friend for his home furnace.   I since
buy diesel at a busy truckstop (fresh) and fill one or two jerry cans when I
want to add fuel.  I know this may incite the anger of condensation gurus but I
check my water separator and do not find any issues with water.  It seems more
likely that water and sediment can be in fuel that comes from marina fuel tanks
sitting for long periods of time and are located below the water table.

BTW, my aluminum tank started leaking last year and I am replacing with a
larger, plastic tank.  I will probably need to keep more fuel in that, to keep
the level up, but I don't intend to fill it unless we plan a long trip.  After
hearing that others can see the level in a plastic tank, I am encouraged to
visually check the level when filling and never overfill.  Thanks.

Chuck Scheaffer, Resolute 1989 C&C 34R, Pasadena, Md