I'm no expert but a Navtec rep told me the rod lasts forever.  It's the end
fittings that can develop cracks and need inspecting.  The rod can be reheaded.
 This process causes a loss of one inch of length, but longer turnbuckles can
be purchased or adding a toggle can counter that length reduction.

One important thing to check is to look for physical cracks and make sure the
end balls are free within the sockets in the mast and spreader fittings.

Chuck