I will back what Dave Goodwin and others have said, and make two more
observations.  1)  Go with Bed-It Buytl Tape, as it seems to have the same
properties as the original C&C material, and I find it goes on much quicker
than stuff in a tube.  Not only that, it doesn't dry out, so that roll will
last you a long time unless you have major projects ahead of you. I am 100%
sold on butyl.Bruce Whitmore 1994 C&C 37/40+Sent from Samsung tablet.
-------- Original message --------From: Dave Godwin via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 5/22/20  7:36 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: C&C List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Cc: Dave Godwin <dave.god...@me.com> Subject: Re:
Stus-List Butyl tape As a requirement for repairing and repainting the deck and
cabin top I have pulled every piece of hardware on my 1982 C&C 37 with the
exception of the toe-rail. Virtually every item was installed with butyl. When
we bought the boat many years ago I would add hardware or replace hardware like
any obsessive boat owner would do and I would use sealants from 3M, Boatlife
and Sika. Every item sealed with butyl was dry and leak-free. Those items that
I installed with the other products eventually failed and/or leaked. Given my
general ineptitude those failures were probably my fault. But...With the fact
that the deck had almost no wet core, it was an easy decision to re-bed with
the same material. I have re-bedded all of the hardware with butyl except where
the manufacturer recommends a specific sealant, the plastic Beckson opening
ports coming to mind.One thing that continually runs through my mind as I go
about the process of re-bedding using butyl is the incredible amount of effort
and time required to apply it. Were I a boat builder looking to keep labour
costs down, I would probably be using tube sealants.My $0.02 (US).Regards,
Dave Godwin1982 C&C 37 - RoninReedville - Chesapeake BayRonin’s Overdue Refit

On May 22, 2020, at 6:12 AM, Nathan Post via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:I am repainting the deck and the rebedding the hardware. The original
hardware (gel coat under it) used butyl tape and in most places had not failed.
The parts also come up easily when you want to pull them off. The ones using
4200 or equivalent have failed, often around the screws, it is brittle, yet
they don’t always come off easily unless completely failed (cutting under the
part is often needed). I will be using butyl when I put it back together.
NathanS/V WisperLynn MA- -On May 22, 2020, at 5:52 AM, Graham Collins via