An observation: For the hardware re-bedding I used new stainless steel hardware
for everything except some of the larger and fewer number of bolts, i.e.,
primary and secondary winches and the bow stem head fitting. Since they were
encapsulated with old butyl I simply immersed them in a container of mineral
spirits. This pretty much dissolved all traces of the butyl. A quick flick with
a small wire brush and they were like new.

That said, there is the containment/time factor involved so probably not a very
suitable method for what you encountered.

Regards,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay