Don Kern
/Fireball/, C&C35 Mk2
Bristol RI

On 6/10/2020 12:07 PM, Bailey White via CnC-List wrote:
Has anyone added material to tie the bulkheads to the liners for those earlier boats?  I wasn't sure if the liner could take it or if some work would need to be done to grind out the liner and fiberglass directly to the hull laminate, which would be more involved and error prone.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rob Ball <r...@edsonintl.com <mailto:r...@edsonintl.com>>
To: Shawn Wright <shawngwri...@gmail.com <mailto:shawngwri...@gmail.com>>, "cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>>
Bcc:
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:39:15 +0000
Subject: Re: Stus-List Rob Ball comment on 41 "robustness"

Earlier C&C’s had the bulkheads ‘floating’ in the headliner groove, and as we got into larger sizes (bigger loads) those tie downs were the solution.

On the C&C 40, there were a lot of warranty claims for those leaks, and eventually it was decided to stiffen up things to prevent this.  The first boat was the new C&C 35 and the bulkheads were ‘tabbed’ to the deck – much stiffer . . . . BUT . . . . it meant that the headliner, which is installed on the deck when it’s upside down, had to leave space for the tabbing after the deck is placed on the hull.  And then those spaces had to be covered up with separate pieces to blend with the headliner after the tabbing . . . . Much more labor and cost . . .

But – a much stiffer boat – the sailmakers loved the straighter headstay  . .

Victory by the designer over the accountants . . . .

The downside, other than cost is that when you hit a rock – the damage is more extensive, because the boat is now actually more brittle  . . .

Rob Ball   C&C 34