A common method around here is to use 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe across the boom,
pulled down to the toerail with lines to create a curved surface for a tarp
or canvas to lay over. The nicer ones will have channels sewn into the
fabric to insert the tubing. Very light, cheap, and reasonable easy to
setup, although storage can be an issue depending on how long the tubing
is. I've thought about making something like this to provide more rain
protection, since our bimini stops short of the dodger. We already carry a
Walker Bay sailkit, which is about 8' broken down, and stores in the
quarter berth, so as long as the poles are kept to ~8', it could be stored
in the same place.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com