If I wanted to keep the rail, would something like this possibly work?
https://imall.com/product/316-Marine-Stainless-Steel-1-Boat-Rail-Fittings-Folding-Swivel-Tube-Pipe-Connector-Joint-Pole-Railing-Mast-Canopy/Sports-Entertainment-Water-Rowing-Boats/aliexpress.com/32845168779/144-27264739/en

I would need to find a latch, but I can't seem to find anything that looks
like a latch...