Electric power is HUGELY dependent on what you expect to do with your boat. I just got back from taking my boat to the yard. That was 4 hours at 6.5 knots. If I had enough batteries to do that with electricity I could forgo the keel. It wouldn't be unusual for us to cover 60-80 miles under power in a day on a cruise and one memorable trip - for bad reasons - we motored from Annapolis to Long Island sound. When you have 2 or 3 weeks vacation, someplace to be, and no wind forecast for days on end electric isn't going to work at all. It wasn't real fun, but we got to see all of Long Island Sound and actually had 30 knots on the beam from Block Island to Cape May going home :)

OTOH some people live where there is a consistent breeze and only need to get in and out of a marina or mooring field. Electric is great for that.

Joe

Coquina