Dear Listers,

As many of you know, the 33 MK II has a single rod backstay which
terminates approximately in the centre of the reverse transom.   I don't
have a hydraulic backstay tensioner.  Instead there is a small (perhaps 6")
diameter wheel in the backstay which can be turned by hand (rather
laboriously) to tighten or loosen the backstay (which is quite impossible
when the sails are loaded).  I'm not really a racer (and hydraulics are
expensive) so have pondered the wisdom of swaging a fitting on the rod
backstay and converting it to a split backstay with a Johnson car and
blocks to have a manual tensioning system.   This would increase somewhat
the angle of the backstay and present the issue of finding spots on the
hull or deck to anchor the backstay that would have sufficient strength.
 I have no idea if this would drastically alter the dynamics of the sail
plan or the boat altogether.  I also don't know where on the hull might
have sufficient strength to support the backstay attachment.  Is this a bad
idea?
Would anyone have any thoughts?  Many thanks ......

Wade
Oh Boy 33 MK II
Lake of the Woods