We returned from our brief cruise yesterday and had no problems motoring.  I
just finished a discussion with PYI to see whether the Maxprop could be the
cause of the vibration and they said the symptoms are consistent with the
Maxprop needing to be reconditioned.  They said that if there is too much
wiggle in the blades, when subjected to loading and unloading in waves, the
blades can catch in slightly different places and that leads to vibration.
Going to reverse and then back to forward would reset the blade position.  He
said I can test by seeing how much wiggle there is in the blades when locked in
forward. It should be less than 1/8”.  More than 3/16” is a problem.  I may try
to dive under to see, but likely will wait until haul in Fall.  So I think that
is the likely cause of our vibration issue.
 I am still unsure what the symptoms of a transmission needing rebuilding would
be.  If anyone can speak to symptoms of that problem, I would appreciate it as
I suspect they are different.

I should also note that I have always had a problem with the engine stalling
when I shift into reverse.  I don’t know what is causing that (PYI did not
think it related to the prop) so if anyone has ideas I would love to hear them.
 It is always nerve racking coming into a dock and worrying that I will not be
able to slow down.

As to shift lever- it looks to me like the shifter is designed to be able to
attach in either orientation.  I think that in order to match normal Edson
lever movement (down = forward) they had to put it on pointing down.  In order
for that to work, they had to grind out some of the stringer.  I realize in
retrospect that there is no way shifting could have worn that away as you would
not have been able to shift at all until it wore down some and that would make
no sense.  But both my wife and I think that up is more natural for forward
gear, so I am happy with the change.

Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+