Swore then that I would “...nevahh...”Attempt that again. Same feeling after my
first and last water skiing success—once was enough!!

Sent from the all new Aol app for iOS

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 8:48 PM, Hoyt, Mike <mike.h...@impgroup.com> wrote:

#yiv8608729690 #yiv8608729690 -- P
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}#yiv8608729690
does your yard allow owners to sand their own bottoms?

From: cenelson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: January 8, 2021 9:26 PM
To: C&C List
Cc: cenelson
Subject: Stus-List Bottom painting question My 1995 C&C 36XL/Kcb is used mainly
for local club racing with occasional forays to CRW. I think her PHRF of 120 is
reasonable and at CRW she finished in the middle of her PHRF class in spinnaker
racing boat for boat with a similarly rated J-30 whose rating was the same
because of a penalty for an oversized pole.
About 2 years ago, I had to strip the bottom to the gel coat since the bottom
paint build-up was excessive. Two coats of barrier coat were applied and then
Petite Black Widow was improperly sprayed on by my yard—they admitted they were
unfamiliar with how much it needed diluted to be applied (afterward), when the
barnacles showed up much sooner than expected, likely a result of too thin a
layer of this paint.
I had them repaint the bottom with Petite Vivid, with which they were familiar,
and they rolled it on with a short nap roller to avoid the extra expense of
tenting, etc. for a spray paint application of the same paint—which they had
done in the past.
I am contemplating going back to a smoother bottom and several local yards have
agreed that the solution is to rough up the current hard ablative Petite Vivid,
apply/roll 2 more coats of the same and then manually sand/burnish the bottom
by sanding these coats smooth, basically sacrificing some of the just applied
paint to ensure a smoother bottom.
I get it, especially since 2 independent yards proposed this, as more
practical/less expensive than my initial thoughts of sanding the current paint
down and then spraying several coats of Vivid.
This work by the yard will cost ~$4-5000.
My question for the list, especially the racers, is how do I maintain this
sanded bottom when I must reapply another coat or 2 of bottom paint next year?
Must I repeat the process (roll on 2 coats and sand smooth) for another $5000?
If so, I am not sure if I should proceed. A ~$2000 per year bottom refresh is
tolerable—a $5000 per year is NOT.
So how do the racing listers keep your boat bottom in ‘racing’ condition year
to year?
Must I ‘bite the bullet’ at $5000 each year or is there an alternative that is
less expensive and thus more reasonable? I will not do it myself—to much work
not to mention the hazard of the paint dust/vapors/etc.
Charlie Nelson1995 C&C 36XL/kcbWater Phantom ex

Sent from the all new Aol app for iOS