Thanks to all who replied with their experiences with bottom painting--much
food for thought!
Some info not previously supplied:
Yes, Petit Vivd is a hard ablative (although some articles classify it as
hard--see Practical Sailor for instance)--in fact I went to it from VC-17
primarily because the VC-17 did a poor job locally (IMHO) on keeping the
barnacles at bay--or at least that was my impression.
Thus I changed to Petit Vivid as several others in the Neuse River/Pamlico
Sound of NC claimed that it was a good paint for the local brackish waters.
I did have it sprayed on, not rolled, for many years until the paint build up
was such that the hull needed taken down to the gel coat and then properly
barrier coated about 3 summers ago. Although an ablative, large sections of the
hull were flaking the layers of paint such that it was clear that ablative or
not, an entirely new bottom was needed. After about 20 years of being in the
water in NC, it also seemed about time to bite this bullet.
Having seen info about Petite Black Widow, I decided to have that applied via
spraying.  Between the yard's unfamiliarity with that paint and the local
waters, the paint job was uneven and the barnacles were heavy in places within
6-8 months of the paint job per my diver such that it was clear that the
application/paint had failed. The guy who has done much work on my boat and who
I believe to be truthful admitted to me that he was certain that he never got
the Black Widow properly diluted for the spray application or didn't spray
enough coats and, seeing the result, was convinced even more that he never got
enough layers of paint on the hull. Since it was new to the entire yard, mine
was the first application of it--not a good place to be!
After this expensive FAIL, I decided to go with a rolled application of Petite
Vivid (it had been sprayed on previously) in order to save some yard
labor/fees. They used a short nap roller but I don't think it was tipped.
Absent Covid, Water Phantom was due for new paint last summer but since there
was no racing I decided not to have it done. Now the barnacle build-up per my
diver is such that I need to repaint.  (BTW, since I club race, my boat bottom
is scrubbed via a diver before every race and no less than monthly whether I am
racing or not).
The comments about the ablative characteristic of Petite Vivid raise some
interesting questions however, especially about repainting it:
   After it is applied/rolled on and then sanded smooth, I assume that it would
stay pretty smooth as it ablates, especially as it ablates and is wiped down by
a diver regularly. Mostly true?
   If so, the next application would just need rolled/tipped and sanded to
remove the roller impressions from this reapplication.  Mostly true?
    Regarding going to a hard paint, say Baltoplate as Dennis uses, I would
need to completely remove the current paint (Vivid) and then apply the paint,
either by spray or roll and tip if I understand the process. If so, this is
likely outside my budget. Continuing with the Vivid would allow an application
on top of it--not so with adding a hard to an ablative.

    Going to Trinidad might also be an option but its a hard paint so it would
also be outside my budget, as with Baltoplate.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Charlie Nelson1995 C&C 36 XL/kcbWater Phantom