Not sure how the mk1 bilge compares, but my mk2 has two auto bilge pumps in
addition to the manual. Last winter I re worked everything as follows:

1. Manual whale gusher below engine panel in cockpit, hose led to just
aft of aft-most keel stud.
2. Rule 500gph pump between keel stud #2 & 3 (from stern), activated by
Johnson Controls magnetic switch between stud #1 & 2
3. Rule 2500gph pump with float switch between keel stud #3 & 4
4. In an emergency the engine raw water intake can be quickly switched to
pull from the bilge, although the pump is only rated at 360gph, so it's
probably not going to help a sinking ship much...

Both auto pumps are wired direct to battery busbar (fused), with manual
override switches on panel, and each has a check valve installed to prevent
the significant water in the hose from draining back to the bilge (these
can be a problem, either sticking open or closed if not kept clean). I have
a T and and plug in the water tank line so it can be emptied to the bilge,
which makes for a good way to check the pump operation and flush everything
with fresh water. The small pump uses 3/4" hose, the larger is 1 1/4" hose,
both exiting on the transom. I plan to move them to the stern counter some
day to get a cleaner looking transom.

Maybe overkill, but it was set up this way by a PO, and I've just tidied
it up a bit and I check them regularly with the manual switches, and with
the floats whenever I'm in the bilge.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com