Depends on whether you want the slides/slugs to drop down past the opening or
not.  My cover fits much nicer when the mainsail drops down another 4-6 inches,
so I have the gates on mine; I used to have the stop.

I attempted to make my own using a flooring carpet strip.  It worked for a week
or two but the material is too pliable.

A lot depends on what your track opening looks like.

I ended up going with the vastly over-priced MG-S2L from RigRIte:
https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/MetalMast_Spars/MetalMast_Mainsail_Gates.php

Bob