Chuck,
That a good question with valid answers.  I would add, it pulls the families together.  On my boat I have three generation enjoying (most of the time) the exaltation of a good competitive team sport, afterwards sitting below laughing at some the stunts pulled during the race, and then of course the party with competitors afterwards and trying to figure out why they went the way they did.

Another answer is: I always have raced.  There is an adage, that when two sailboats meet - the race is on. My dad was a naval architect and he built my brother and I an 8' sailing pram, in high school we built a kit Thistle which I campaign for twenty years. Was on the sailing team at Univ of RI, team captain and coach at Naval Academy, family bought our C&C35 in 1980 and have raced it ever since, at one point with 4 generations aboard.

My question is: why has sailboat racing in the decline?? In the 60's the weekend regattas on Narragansett Bay drew over 100 boats. PHRF-NB in the early 2000's was over 600 boats, today we hover around 400.
Reasons I have been given:

   Families have too many other things on their agenda.
   Hard to get crew.
   Too stressful

Don Kern
/Fireball,/ C$C35 Mk2