Hello listers--
My boat is entering her 26th year (delivered for use in 1995) and except for a
replaced forestay, has its original rod-rigging.
Local riggers, among others, believe that rod rigging should be replaced (or
re-headed?) at about 25 years of use. Since C&C finally bit the dust about 20
years ago, I suspectthere are many listers whose rigging has or will soon reach
this milestone.
For background, I have never and don't have any plans to take Water Phantom
seriously off-shore although I may cruise off-shore between marinas or up and
down the ICW. She is usedalmost exclusively for local PHRF racing in the NC
sounds/rivers with occasional trips to Charleston or the Chesapeake.
I plan to have the rigging inspected in place this month--over the years one of
the starboard shrouds seized and it was sent off for repair but otherwise no
issues.
My question is do I need to bite the bullet and re-head or replace all the rod
rigging at this milestone?
Or can I have it seriously inspected, perhaps by the group in RI (forget the
name), and only re-head/replace what they deem questionable.
Or given my use, maybe I should just "...forgetaboutit..."
BTW, my rig is a triple spreader, all rod (except for the forestay) so I
suspect the expense of replacement or re-heading is north of 5 boat bucks, not
to mention the labor to take it apart and reassemble.
What would the list do?
Thanks,
Charlie NelsonWater Phantom1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb