I've told this story before, Joe, but here goes.

I had a toggle on one of the D2 shrouds on my 38 break. My rigger said that
Navtech had a recall in the early 2000s on the toggles, and mine was
probably not replaced at that time.

Since I had a bit of a trust issue on rod rigging that was already 33 or 34
years old, I wanted to have it inspected. Maybe reheaded. Navtech indicated
that visual and dye inspections arerelatively worthless, and the proper way
to do it was to have the mast down, rigging coiled up and shipped to them,
and they would xray the heads and rehead or replace as required.

Cost for R&R the shrouds, shipping, and testing was about $3500 as far as I
can recall. Other work extra.

My rigger turned me on the Dyform wire. The wire is slightly bigger diameter
(a few thousandths), slightly heavier (under a hundred pounds but I can't
recall now - see my former posts), and actually stronger than #10 rod. Swage
on fittings are available to match the existing fittings on the mast and at
the ends of the spreaders. Rigger put Norseman fittings at the chainplate
end of the shrouds to simplify installation (make the wires a little long
and then cut to fit the turnbuckles at the chainplates. All told, the cost
for the complete rerig was 3 or 4 hundred dollars more than the cost for the
inspection alone.

Minuses: the shrouds are a bit larger so more wind resistance, and there is
a bit more weight aloft. Plusses, I have a high degree of confidence in a
rig that is now only 8 years old, and I am essentially a cruiser who does
occasional fun/charity races and probably am capable of screwing up a tack
and losing more time than I would ever gain with a rod rigging. I'm a happy
camper.

YMMV, and of course everything will cost twice as much if you do it in the
Annapolis area as opposed to eastern North Carolina.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk2 #47

la Belle Aurore  C&C 25 mk1 #225

Washington, NC