My boat been around a long time.  I did install a speaker (1980s) in the side of the cubby at the front of the cockpit that was hard wired to double throw switch (DP-DT:  VHF in - Out to speaker - Radio in)  at the Nav Station, selectable: VHF or FM/AM/Tape.  Both radios are long gone.  Now the AM/FM is bluetooth with a Bose Soundlink mini in a ziplock bag placed in the cubby and the installed cubby speaker always selected to VHF.  We also have a handheld at the helm pedestal, always on and a spare handheld down below.  Always able to communicate with the race committee and the heavy commercial shipping.

Don Kern
/Fireball, /C&C35 Mk2
Bristol, RI