From: Edd Schillay via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 10:04 AM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Edd Schillay <e...@schillay.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Now best powerboats

Joe,

Thanks. We’ve looked at quite a few boats over the past few months and there
were several that we didn’t like, whether it’s the style, layout, number of
levels, engines, etc. I’m not ruling out gas engines, but would prefer diesels
purely from a maintenance and safety level.

Right now, a Sea Ray 400 Sedan with Caterpillar 3126’s has really caught my
eye. Also interested in the Carver 36 Mariner, the Regal Commodore 4080 and the
Meridian 341 (though I have yet to actually get on board one — may be too
small.)

Primarily, we are looking for a 16-knot+ cruiser that we could use for a day
trip to a gulf-coast island or for a week or two cruising to the Keys or even
the Bahamas.

I’m well aware that, especially as a life-long C&C owner, that there will be
compromises and disappointments, but I’m looking to transition into a
less-active form of boating where the only winch on board is electric and it
drops the anchor.

Now that we are here in Florida for good, we can’t wait to explore strange new
worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations…. And, our Prime Directive will
not change — Wherever We Go, We Go Boldly — I just want to be at a speed that I
won’t need to take extra time off.

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay
Captain of the Starship Enterprise
C&C 37+ | Sail No: NCC-1701-B
Venice Yacht Club | Venice Island, FL

On Mar 31, 2021, at 9:23 AM, Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List

I would agree with that. The Carver/Regal/Sea Ray lineup probably would not
meet expectations if you had a C&C for very long.
I worked on all of them and delivered some back in the day and unless they got
a LOT better than they used to be, I can't see a C&Cer being happy with them.
Also do not be fooled by "diesel". Sailors tend to extrapolate "lasts forever"
and "sips fuel" to diesel powerboats and neither one of those things
necessarily apply. Many boosted high output diesels have short lifespans and
"economical" is in comparison to a pair of big block V8s. I worked on a SeaRay
55 and I had to run her hard to do some autopilot calibrations. I think I was
going through 100 gallons an hour! Also the layout and décor seemed ideal for
bachelor parties - cruising not so much.
Heck - even the slow Grand Banks trawlers use a LOT of fuel compared to any
sailboat without going much faster.

Joe
Coquina