Hi Peter,
On My 37 the access plate just under helm seat  is remover and a long pole with
square base is inserted into matching female square top of the rudder post. The
pole only fits/aims sideways ( toward engine control panel) and you actually
steer  from there.
After reading about this topic last year I decided to check it out and document
it. I have pics but its too much of a pain to post pics on here using google
drive. Happy to send them  along if anyone would like to see  the emergency
tiller system, really works nice, and I could see steering with this in a pinch
no problem.

John Conklin
S/v Halcyon

On Apr 16, 2021, at 7:25 PM, Peter McMinn via CnC-List

Trying to understand how the emergency tiller works on my 37. As others have
noted on their 35II, the access aft of the pedestal is less than ideal, if not
dangerous. Any workarounds or mods I should consider?