From: Jeffrey Brideau via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 11:42:39 AM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Jeffrey Brideau <bride...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Using a broker

It might depend on what you are planning to spend. Most buyer agents split the
commission on a boat with the selling agent. You might find it hard to get one
involved with a used older boat. We bought our boat through a Pop-Yachts
listing and were provided a buyers agent automatically by Pop-yachts
(remarkable for how little we paid for the boat) but we never met him in
person. He was very helpful but as with anyone working on commission, we had to
really push him to negotiate the price down to where we knew it should be based
on the comps we got. More advice is available for completing a Pop-Yachts
transaction if you like.

The best two things we had going for us were:
1. An independent, 3rd party, broker willing to do free comps and give market
advice for us via email with the understanding we might use him in the future
when we buy a more expensive upgrade. I found this guy by calling a buyers
agent office and learned about the disinterest of buyers agent relationships
for low-cost yachts at the beginning of our search. You might be able to pay
someone a fee for this service if needed but ours offered for free.
2. A surveyor lined up BEFORE we decided on a boat. Ours was exceptionally
helpful and spent hours on the phone with me talking about the various yachts
we looked at during our search (try not to abuse their time, but Tom was a
"talker" and kept me on the phone most times)

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM Adam Hayden via CnC-List
Hello listers

We are considering/ starting our search  and looking for  something  newer and
slightly larger than our current 1981 C&C36.

I am sure this has been debated before.   Do I need to have a buyers broker(
like real estate) looking our for my interests or is that an unnecessary
expense?   I purchased my last 3 boats without one but they were more local.

Thanks
Adam Hayden

Thanks
Adam

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada’s largest network.