I have been in races that were almost 100% downwind or 100% upwind, thanks to
perfect timing of wind shifts. Somehow it worked out and the PHRF ratings are
what they are and we dealt with it.
I know many people disagree, but IMHO making big boat racing resemble dinghy
racing and making dinghy racing a science experiment with perfect upwind and
downwind legs has not been a good thing at all. I once had 3 dinghy fleets and
sent the Lasers reaching up the river a bit to deconflict them with the other
fleets and I never heard so much whining โ€“ we canโ€™t sail on a REACH! It turned
out you actually can if the RC makes you ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
YMMV
Joe
Coquina