Two reasons for a headboard shackle on the main rather than a snap swivel:
Headboard shackles are designed to accommodate a longer length from the sail
cringle to the edge of the sail which generally is a fixed U shaped forging.
This is much stronger than a pivoting closure that is found on a swiveling snap
shackle of equal length.
A snap swivel shackle is specifically built to allow the sail to twist and
rotate under load, especially when used with a spinnaker.  Hoisting loads on a
mainsail are far more linear and rotation is less important.  Also, headboard
shackles are less expensive.
Chuck Gilchrest
Half Magic
LF 35