So I believe we have a plan.  After discussions with other C&C owners whose
rudderpost arrangement is similar the culprit is the stainless plate bolted to
the cockpit floor.  It has a bronze bushing through which the rudder post
passes.  That plays a significant role in keeping the shaft in alignment.  Over
time it wears and enlarges, allowing the top of the shaft to move.  The fix is
to support the rudder while on the hard, remove the donut nut, then remove the
plate which may entail lots of boat yoga under the deck as the nuts are
extremely close to the steering quadrant.  Take the plate to a machine shop and
have them remove the old bearing and press in a new bronze / oil bushing with
ID closely matching shaft OD.  Reverse the process to install.

It was suggested to cut an access hole and install an inspection plate in the
vertical face behind the helm seat to improve access to the steering system.
Any words of wisdom from the group?

John Read

Legacy III

1982 C&C 34