That particular owner was not from Liverpool, as far as I know he has always
been based out of the PNW.

As to being extremely hungover at the time, there was this once I did mutiny
owing to an extreme hangover. The scene of the crime was Lahaina (Maui,
Hawaii), Sauza Cup regatta, 1985. (Sauza Tequila was the sponsor.)  For the
Saturday night party they mixed Margaritas in garbage cans. Hence the extreme
hangover.

Some background on the seriousness of a Sauza Cup: I had previously
participated in the Sauza Cups of 1981 and 1982.  During those events I
observed and participated in both water balloon and food fights (boat to boat)
often food stuffs left over from the recently completed Transpac or Vic-Maui
races.  As most of the Sauza Cup race boats sailed over in the Transpac or
Vic-Maui they were often in top race condition except often the racing sails
were replaced with delivery sails and most of the crack racing crews replaced
with friends/family/delivery crew.

In 1985 I was part of a group of west coast sailors that chartered the Barnett
52 “Climax” for Transpac. Our moto was “Nothing performs like a loaner”. We
scored first to finish in class B and our navigator won the Navigation trophy.
After repairing the nearly failed rudder bearings (leaking the last 3 days)
Climax was sailed up to Lahaina.

Climax had a Sauza Cup crew of 8, 2 of us from the Transpac crew, 2 guys that
we race with in the PNW and our spouses.  After Saturday’s races (round the
cans in the lee of the island), and the epic race dinner/party getting back to
the hotel around 2AM the 6AM wake up call for the Sunday race over to Molokai
and back was unwelcome.

The Molokai race starts in the lee of Maui then crosses in the trade wind
exposed Pialolo channel between Kaanapali Maui and the Molokia rocks. We were
flying a full main and a #3. After the first few miles in the channel the wind
was freeing up a little and the skipper of the day asked me to do a sail change
to a bigger headsail.  So, big seas, lotsa wind, light on experienced crew, and
a very hungover foredeck guy.

This is where I pretty much pulled a munity by telling the skipper, possibly in
crass terms: “If you want to change sails come on up I’ll come back there and
drive.”  Well, as nobody else wanted to take on the short handed challenge of
changing a headsail in trade winds/seas we kept the #3.  It all worked out, as
we approached the Kaanapali mark and the turn downwind to the finish the wind
increased and came forward.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43