Tracy,
I rebuilt the keel stub on my 35-3 last year, with guidance from a few guys
on this list. The design is slightly different on the 38-3, based in your
diagrams.
Is that aft keel bolt loose? What is the condition of the area around that
bolt? Are there backing plates for the keel bolts, or just washers?
Water may be working its way through the crack you mentioned in the aft of
the keel ( which might suggest a previous grounding, as does the loose aft
bolt and the smile).
I am not sure if you will need to excavate the blue foam if you grind, fill
and glass the crack in the aft if the keel from the outside. I did the
forward portion of my keel stub from inside and out.  I would recommend
backing plates for all of the bolts. I used G10 to add a little umph to the
base of the keel stub and then 1/4" stainless plates. Then be sure to
torque those nuts to spec.
David Swensen
Freya 35-3
Beverly, MA