From: Charlie Nelson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 12:22 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: cenel...@aol.com
Subject: Stus-List Mast head antenna cable

Ahoy all;

I had my 27 yr old rod rigging replaced this past summer. In the process, the
yard cut the antenna cable (and a few others) at the base of the mast.

(

The antenna wire looks to be shielded coaxial cable of a relatively small
diameter--much closer to RG-51 size than RG-8 (I used to use those cables long,
long ago!).

Unless I replace all the cable to the masthead, which would be a big job, I
prefer to just solder/crimp/ the current two ends of the cable. They are a PITA
to reach under the cockpit sole but perhaps less of a PITA than having a new
one installed from the antenna down to the radio.

My question to the list:

A recommendation of what to do (replace or splice) and if replace with what
cable. This would probably take a trip up the mast to determine what that
connection is, plus another to get the cable up to the antenna.

If splice, with what fittings. Way back when, with a proper tool, I made up
many RG-51 cables with BNC fittings (male and female) but that requires the
'crimping tool" for the male end at least.

What I am hoping is a simple method or fitting that can be soldered such that
both the shield and the signal wire are properly connected again with a minimum
of cost and trouble while still maintaining a good continuous shield wire and a
good continuous signal wire.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Charlie Nelson