You should also try to rev the engine with it out of gear.  If it has the same
problem of reaching full RPM then fuel and air delivery are nearly to only
possible culprits.

A bad or weak governor spring would be indicated by an engine that has a
tendency to over speed or hunt.  Pulling the throttle faster applies pressure
to open the fuel rack and provide more fuel.  More fuel create more RPM and the
governor the creates a feedback force that resists the fuel rack.  The governor
tries to slow the engine whereas the throttle tries to speed it up.  Without
the governor the engine will tend to race, have high RPM, limited throttle
control, and is lively to overspreed.

When you get to 2100 RPM do you get heave black smoke?  If you do the engine is
getting plenty of fuel but not enough air.  Have you checked or simply removed
the air cleaner?  When was the last time the backlash was checked on the
lifters.  I can walk you through it if you don't know.

If you're not getting black smoke, are you getting any change in smoke?

Are you getting a correlating loss of power or stumbling?  Or is it just not
going faster?  Was it not able to push the boat at normal full speed.  Are you
confident in the accuracy of the RPM gage.  You can get a laser tach from
Amazon for less than $20 to confirm the RPM.

As the high pressure fuel pump and fuel injectors age they have springs that
get weak.  Weak pump springs will allow the tappets to "float" and not achieve
a full intake stroke of fuel....causing a low fuel condition resulting in lower
RPM.  If the injectors are dirty or have weak springs they won't achieve full
fuel pressure before injection and may even leak a small amount into the
cylinder before TDC.  This is probably good more likely to cause detonation
(ping or knock), not exacly low RPM but none the less is sub optimum operation.

Have you checked the oil for fuel dilution?  The fuel lift pump is driven off a
cam and if the diaphragm cracks or tears it will leak fuel into the crank case.
 This may also let crankcase pressure into the high pressure fuel
pump...reducing fuel delivery and RPM.  Pull the dip stick, drop some oil on a
paper towel.  Smell it for diesel smell.  Wait and observe for a halo.
Especially if you have red diesel the halo is seen as the clearish red halo
around the black oil spot.

If all of that checks.  Then you need to get a little more invasive.  A
compression check is in order.  I can walk you through it and provide
parts(tools).  It is definitely doable as DIY but you got some investigation to
do first.  Let me know.  Reach out with a PM and we can talk.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD