From: Randy Stafford via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: July 12, 2022 7:35 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Randy Stafford <randal.staff...@icloud.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Asym Rigging and Trim

I have a regular crew that has been together for seven years.  When we fly the
symmetrical I’m on foredeck, and probably will be with the asym too (working
its furling line).  I’m confident our sail changes will be faster with furling
genoa and furling asym than with the previous  genoa luff rope in a head foil,
and symmetrical in a sock with big heavy spin pole.

Cheers,
Randy

On Jul 12, 2022, at 2:13 PM, dwight veinot via CnC-List

Do you race your 30 single handed or with crew. If with good crew i think your
symetrical kite hoists and take downs would be close to seemless sail
transtions and very fast. I hope changing gear makes the difference you are
looking for but you may still need help from good crew and you may still need
to make some good tactical decisions that turn out lucky decisions. Gear
changes will affect ratings.  Ratings assume equal crew. Your crew might be
more important to success.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 11:25 AM Randy Stafford via CnC-List
I do want to whoop my main competitor!  Or at least compete with him.  He’s the
one who started an arms race in the fleet, by adding a bowsprit, asym, and
top-down furler two years ago.  That and a furling genoa is now the minimum
ante in the fleet.  At the windward mark he could furl his genoa and unfurl his
asym in 30 seconds, while it took me several minutes to set the spin pole,
hoist the symmetrical, hoist its dousing sock, and drop the genoa.  There was
no way I could compete.

Cheers,
Randy

On Jul 11, 2022, at 10:07 AM, Bill Coleman via CnC-List

Wow, you must really want to whoop your main competitor!

I guess that's what we do - it's just boat bucks!

Bill Coleman
Entrada, Erie PA

On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 9:46 PM Randy Stafford via CnC-List
Listers I am appealing to your collective wisdom on rigging and trimming an
asymmetrical spinnaker.

For Grenadine’s 50th birthday this year, I added a new furling genoa on a new
Selden 204S furler, a retractable Selden 75 bowsprit, and an A2 asymmetrical
spinnaker on a Selden GX10 top-down furler.  I’m installing the latter two
birthday presents on Tuesday.

This is all to improve my downwind performance, and facilitate fast upwind /
downwind sail plan changes at the marks and on the course, in my club’s races.

I guess my specific questions are as follows, but I would appreciate any
additional tips you old salts might offer.

1. Leading the tack line - I’m repurposing the foredeck padeye and block,
side-deck fairleads, and cabin-side cam cleat for my former pole down line to
run the asym tack line, which of course goes through the bowsprit lengthwise.
My pole down line is too short to be the asym tack line, so I’ve repurposed a
little-used genoa sheet.  I figure if the deck hardware was sufficient for a
symmetrical pole down line, it ought to suffice for an asym tack line.  Am I
wrong?

2. Where to put the turning blocks for the asym sheets: same place as for the
symmetrical, or farther forward?  For the symmetrical turning blocks I use
snatch blocks at the stern pulpit braces.

3. What winch to lead to / where to trim from?  My main competitor leads his
asym sheets to cabintop winches, and trims from the windward side deck so the
trimmer can see the whole sail.

4. When and how much to ease the tack line?  By default I assume it’s tensioned
so that the aysm’s tack is at the bowsprit and the luff is taut, but it can be
eased - how much, and under what conditions?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you mmight share.

Fun fact: the sail is black, with a logo of an M67 grenade on both sides,
because of the etymology of my boat’s name, and because of her color scheme
(red topsides, white deck and cabintop, black canvas.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
SV Grenadine
C&C 30 MK I #79