From: David Knecht via CnC-List<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: September 12, 2022 11:12
To: CnC CnC discussion list<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: David Knecht<mailto:davidakne...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Partially furling the genoa when racing

I was talking to the skipper of a J27 who nearly always wins our PHRF class and
he was telling me that while he wins a lot, he struggles in heavier air.  He
said he had recently started partially roller furling his large genoa for
upwind legs and then unfurling downwind when the wind was strong enough to
overpower him.  I have never considered doing that and my larger genoa does not
have “reef points” .  What are the groups thoughts on the value/feasibility of
this?   Any reason it would be bad for the sail?  It certainly would be easier
than putting on my smaller sail when winds are questionable.  I worry about not
only sail shape, but when partially furled, the furler and genoa sheet are
fighting each other, which might not be a good thing for the furler.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT

[cid:image001.png@01D8C69E.EACAC7C0]