I can sympathize with you Dave, which I will elaborate on. As far as your
situation, it seems like They should be eye terminals. Probably with an
elastic stopnut on the solenoid. In fact, I think nearly all terminals on
boats should be eyes and not spades due to the problem you just mentioned
of them slipping off.
Bringing a new to me boat home a few years ago, the first day out, the
secondary alternator charging the house batteries failed. I spent almost
every evening that we stopped rolling around in a hot engine room trying to
find the problem. Finally, halfway up the Hudson, I found an eye terminal
laying in the bottom of the bilge. I was able to find a wire that was
orphaned. Put a new terminal on it and voila! So, even having the eye
didn't save that situation. I suppose it needed a heavier eye, and probably
some form of stabilization of the wires due to vibration.
Anyways, glad you finally solved your problem. They can sure be
frustrating, especially in tight compartments!

Bill Coleman
Entrada, Erie PA