Clean the vent on the "u" connection

________________________________
From: Al Serrato via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2023 4:57:23 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Al Serrato <aserrat...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Stus-List Problem with Bilge Pump

I've been using a Jabsco diaphragm bilge pump located in the starboard cockpit
locker/engine compartment for many years without any problems. The hose from
the pump has a vented loop and exits at the stern.

Recently, I noticed that while the pump was functioning apparently normally, no
water was coming out at the stern. I removed the exit hose from the pump while
it was operating and within a few seconds I had water pumping out of the pump.
I replaced the hose and the water continued to pump out of the stern as it
normally should.

However, when I went back to the boat a few days later, the same problem was
occurring. It looks like the pump is working normally but unless I pull the
exit hose off the pump, it continues to run with no water actually pumping. The
suction element in the bilge in clean and unobstructed

Any suggestions as to how to diagnose this would be much appreciated. I'm
wondering if I'm just not getting sufficient pressure from the pump to overcome
the vented loop, maybe due to gaskets that need to be replaced? The pump is
probably 5 or 6 years old at this point and I have never serviced it.  But when
I removed the hose from the pump, it seemed to be coming out with quite a bit
of pressure.

Thanks in advance.

Al Serrato
Senza Fine