From: Mack McKinney via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Mack McKinney <m...@woodnboats.com>
Sent: Tue, Jan 31, 2023 1:32 pm
Subject: Stus-List C&C 34 aluminum plates on bulkhead

Hi everyone!

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1980 C&C 34. I have yet to make
an in-person inspection, as the boat is 4 hours away, but in pictures I
notice attached to the partial bulkheads which separate the settees from
the galley/nav area there are what appear to be chainplates.  Those
aluminum plates are rather far aft for any standing rigging.  Their
purpose, I reckon, is to reinforce the genoa track (correct me if I'm
way off, and these are distinguished from the aluminum tubes which, I
suppose, reinforce the mainsheet traveler.  So, here's my question:
there is noticeable water incursion, as there is some streaking on the
port bulkhead below the "chainplate." I assume I need to be prepared for
deck core rot, and possible rot in the teak plywood of the bulkhead. The
extent of any rot, if it requires the replacement of that bulkhead, may
be a deal-breaker.  Thoughts? Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Mack
Formerly C&C 30-104
me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
Thanks for your help.
Stu
Thanks for your help.