Thanks.  I bought a zerk fitting to add to the grease cup.  The idea of a hose
extension is a good one.  I was thinking some shaft packing material might help?

________________________________
From: CHARLES SCHEAFFER via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2023 9:23:57 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: CHARLES SCHEAFFER <cscheaf...@comcast.net>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Tiller Wobble

Thanks for reminding me.  I have to take the grease gun to the boat and grease
the rudder bearings, next time.

Chuck S
On 04/20/2023 10:46 PM John Read via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

I dropped my rudder for repairs some 10 years ago and to my recollection, the
34 system does not have a lower bushing or bearing.  Rather is just a close
tolerance fiberglass tube.  The outside of the tube is braced by fiberglass
struts to the interior of the hull.  Top of the tube ends about a foot or so
from underside of cockpit floor to provide space for steering quadrant and be
well above water line.  Shaft continues up through cockpit floor square cast
bronze fitting held in place by 4 bolts.   Fitting hole for rudder shaft is
also close tolerance so threads for donut ride on hole edges.  This is the real
issue as over time the threads enlarge the fitting hole allowing the rudder
post to wobble.  Hence the solution to remove the fitting and insert a new
bushing.

On a related note, the tube should have a threaded hole for a grease cup.
Ensure that is working so you can insert grease as part of normal maintenance.
I replace the cup with a hydraulic hose with fittings so I could insert grease
from the locker and not have to crawl back there

Best of luck

John Read

1982 C&C 34