I had my boat painted a few years ago with Awlcraft 2000.  I find that I am
getting a large number of light scratches in the hull paint in the area where I
normally bring my dinghy alongside to board the boat.  This is near where the
launch comes as well, but the location seems to correlate more with the dinghy
than the launch (which has bumper pads attached).  My PortaBote dinghy has
rubber-like rails and for extra protection, I covered them with pool noodle
tubes.  However, it looks now like the pool noodles may be worse than nothing.
Does it make any sense to anyone that pool noodles could scratch paint?  What
do others find is the best hull protection?  I could attach some kind of fender
to the side of the dinghy.  Some people at our club always leave cylindrical
fenders hanging on the side of their moored boat, presumably to protect against
our less capable launch drivers, but that could work for the dinghy as well.
If fenders, do you find that cloth covers on traditional fenders is more
gentle?  Thanks- Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT