Charlie;

You are essentially correct in assuming that an hydraulics shop can source the
needed parts even though Navtec or other back stay adjuster maker no longer
supply a kit.

After nearly 40 years experience in the construction machinery and forklift
industry, I can confidently say that most any hydraulics shop (or industrial
equipment dealer) has the skill set and tools for the job. But they will
probably need to identify and source the various wear parts and seals in the
pump and cylinder. After all, they normally work on hydraulic cylinders that
are designed for 10,000 to 40 or 50,000 PSI pressures and are a lot larger in
diameter that what is used on a boat.

All hydraulic cylinders leak, even brand new ones. Initially it is very slow
leakage primarily around the seal between the piston and the cylinder wall
resulting from the pressure differential between the top and bottom of the
piston. As the seal wears the leakage gets higher over time. Best to relieve
the pressure on your back stay adjuster when you get off the boat. If you leave
the adjuster at, say 2000 pounds, and come back two weeks later and see 1500 or
1000 I would not be too worried. One week and dropped to near zero would
probably indicate a need for service.

The most likely source for wear is environmental contamination coming in
through the seal around the piston shaft connected to your backstay, as has
already been pointed out. The suggestion to keep the rod clean and maybe put a
felt ring around the top of the cylinder as a wiper is a good one to catch the
potential contamination and fine dust particles that can cause wear. As the
shaft seal wears and lets contamination into the cylinder, you get increased
wear on the piston seal and increasing internal pressure leakage over time.

I'm not sure that temperatures will have much effect on the life of seals and
o-rings. Although I can see that sub zero temperatures could cause some thermal
contraction that would exacerbate any small leakage that might already exist
when the piston is left under pressure. As far as high temperatures, we're not
talking about hundreds of degrees that will destroy the seals, and I wouldn't
expect the seals to soften enough to be damaged by friction, but I high temps
from southern suns would accelerate the aging of the material to some degree.

But one the whole, Charlie, I would guess that 15 years between rebuilds of
your adjuster would be pretty normal.

Rick Brass
Imzadi
C&C 38 mk2 (with an old-style mechanical back stay adjuster using a winch
handle)
Washington, NC