Gotta do the same project.

I think you are over thinking this.  The OD of the hose is irrelevant.  The OD
of the cutless bearing needs to be measured as struts can vary between models
and years.  Best to get the cutless bearing that fits the strut, and that may
need to be measured to get that right.

I look forward to the replies.

Chuck S

> On 02/03/2024 8:51 PM EST keith morgenstern via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>

> Hey folks, I'm hoping the C&C community will help me out.
>
> Two shaft line questions, one perhaps easy, one perhaps hard.
>
> Easy Question: On the 35 mk3, does anyone recall the dimensions on the
> cutlass bearing? Obviously the ID (shaft size) is 1.0-inches. I think the
> length is 4", but what is the OD??
>
> Hard Question: I need to replace the old and tired rubber hose between the
> shaft log and the packing gland. To do this, one obviously needs to remove
> the coupling from the transmission end of the shaft. The problem (i've heard)
> is that the coupling is slightly undersized to the shaft so that it has a
> nice tight interference fit. So not only is removal really hard, but once you
> get it off, and clean all the rust off...it's no longer a very good
> interference fit. So when you put it back together, the only thing
> transmitting the torque is the shaft key and the tiny set screws, rather than
> the nice "hug" of an interference fit.
> Q1: is this a real thing?
> Q2: has anyone ever done this and had no problems?
>
> Thanks a bunch!!
>
> -Keith M
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and help
> me pay the associated bills. Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu

Thanks for your help.