I moved my original Lewmar 50 winches and added additional Lewmar 44 winches to
my 1995 36XL/Kcb and added backing plates to all of them but did not glass the
plates in place—this would have required destruction of a lot more of the
interior headliner.
I had used starboard previously but this would have required a fair bit of
cutting since the starboard came in 2x2’ or 2x4’ sheets and I wanted a plate
1/2” thick.
A little net searching led me to using red oak boards which could be had in the
widths necessary (so I only had to cut them to length, not rip them at all.) Of
course, even cross cutting such dense wood is not a piece of cake!
Instead of glassing them in, I just painted them with a penetrating epoxy to
keep them water resistant.  (If properly installed, no water should get to them
anyway).
This type oak is near or at the top of measures of hardness, strength, density,
etc. much like the live oak that was used for warships in the days of sail.
After 15+ years of use and regular winch maintenance I have seen no evidence of
wear or wood rot in these plates and no bending of the deck when pounding to
weather in a breeze which was obvious prior to adding these plates.
I believe that the deck would give way and the winch with the plate would break
free of the boat before the plate would separate from the winch/deck!
FWIW
Charlie NelsonWater Phantom1995 C&C 36 XL/Kcb

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Saturday, March 23, 2024, 4:42 AM, Dean McNeill via CnC-List