Matt,

Calypso also had some issues in the mast step area. Back in 1998 when we
brought her to Seattle we found some failed filler and reinforcement glass just
forward of the mast step.  We ground out all the old polyester "bog" and
rebuilt the area with epoxy and glass cloth. We then designed and had
manufactured a new mast step.

Fast forward to around 2015 we purchased all the C&^C 43 "as built" drawings
available from the C&C archives at the Maritime Museum.  One of those drawings
documented how the C&C/Bruckmann team discovered both the early 61's and 43's
had a weak point just forward of the mast step.  A fix was designed for the
61's and 43's built after hull #1 or #2.  The 61 SORCERY was retro fitted with
an "I" beam that went forward from the mast step about 10'.

During Calypso's restoration project we added "I" beams starting on each side
of the mast step running forward about 5' to reinforce the repairs we did back
in 98/99.

I expect that the C&C design team, Bruckmann's, and the owners paying the
bills, on occasion, pushed the design/build envelope in pursuit of that elusive
extra 1/10 of a knot. I also expect that is why some of the survivors from the
70's occasionally need some extra repair/restoration.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Port Ludlow/Seattle