On 04/27/2014 11:54 PM, Ed - 0x1b, Inc. wrote:
I would expect Cobbler CLI to be used in this case:
1) Cobbler running on a headless server without a webserver

I do not know what "headless server" means. Anyway, I do not think
Cobbler CLI would work in a server without a web server, as CLI accesses
local Cobbler back-end via XML-RPC interface and the latter uses HTTP.

Also, I have never thought of Cobbler as
Client/Server - my experience is that everything must run on the same
system. please tell me if otherwise.

Currently, Cobbler frontend and backend code are mixed. I do not see
an advantage in keeping this organization. It is a good programming practice to split frontend and backend to enhance flexibility and decrease redundancy.
As I already mentioned before, one obvious benefit of splitting both in
Cobbler case is that Cobbler CLI could then run from anywhere.

Regards,
Alan Evangelista