From: cobbler-devel-boun...@lists.fedorahosted.org
[mailto:cobbler-devel-boun...@lists.fedorahosted.org] On Behalf Of Jeff
Schroeder
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:00 PM
To: cobbler development list
Subject: Re: [cobbler-devel] Support of several network interfaces in system
object

On Monday, October 20, 2014, Alan Evangelista
<ala...@linux.vnet.ibm.com<mailto:ala...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:
I would like to understand why Cobbler allows user to define several network
interfaces in system object.
Netboot and automated installation processes only require 1 network interface
and supporting multiple
network interfaces introduce complexity. Possible motivations I see:

1) allow user to quickly alternate between different network interfaces for
testing purposes
2) automatically setup all network interfaces in a system

imho motivation 2 is a strong point, but it goes beyond the scope of network
installation and automated
installation. I see in http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/2240 that people
are
requesting the same feature in Foreman to support automatic setup of all
network interfaces
using Puppet and its integration with Foreman. I think it makes more sense to
delegate this
task (automatic setup of all network interfaces) to a config management tool
(eg Puppet)
than do it in Cobbler, otherwise Cobbler ends up being a "do it all" tool.

Maybe I have a restricted view of how and how much this feature is used, so I'd
like to get
some feedback from Cobbler community.

Regards,
Alan Evangelista

Alan,

At one of my previous employers, I used cobbler to dhcp a from scratch Linux OS
that ran in memory. It would come online and then run a small script to connect
to cobbler via the super simple xmlrpc api, get a list of interfaces (set with
the MAC address for each interface), write out /etc/Iftar, and actually rename
all of the interfaces and ip them with cobbler as the authoritative source.

That might be a more advanced use case but is absolutely a valid one. Please
don't remove a feature like this. My take on config management (puppet, salt,
ansible, etc) is that you should setup the partitioning and network bits before
the config management runs. Please don't alienate users just because you don't
use a given feature.

--
Text by Jeff, typos by iPhone

This message (including any files transmitted with it) may contain confidential
and/or proprietary information, is the property of Interactive Data Corporation
and/or its subsidiaries, and is directed only to the addressee(s). If you are
not the designated recipient or have reason to believe you received this
message in error, please delete this message from your system and notify the
sender immediately. An unintended recipient's disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this message or any attachments is prohibited and may
be unlawful.