On Saturday, November 22, 2014, Alan Evangelista <ala...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Question 1: From the user perspective, what is the benefit of using
> Cobbler's own TFTP server,
> implemented in Python, over using inet TFTP server or another TFTP server
> ? I see it generates
> templates in RAM instead of creating files (eg boot loader configuration
> file), but I dont
> know if this translates in a performance gain.

Great question Alan. From my experience at $previous_job running cobbler
sync when you have thousands of records takes a very long time. With the
built in cobbler tftp server, there is no sync after flipping  the NetBoot
boolean. I actually see that feature as a massive edge over Ohad's Foreman
for larger installations vs waiting 60 seconds for a sync to complete.

> Question 2: Cobbler TFTP server supports Linux automated installation?
> Automated installation
> related kernel options are built in tftpgen.py and Cobbler TFTP server
> does not use it,
> it just renders the boot loader configuration file with system blended
> data.

I'm not entirely sure, but we used the snot out of it for a one bootable
infra where the is ran in memory and the disks were used for a dumb cache.
It was pretty amazing.

> Question 3: is it worth it to keep Cobbler TFTP server?

That is a tough question. I genuinely see it as an advantage only cobbler
has over "the competition", but it might need a bit more work to match
functionality with tftpd. What do you think?

--
Text by Jeff, typos by iPhone