Hi everyone,

We at SUSE are interested on having Cobbler running with Python 3.x, since for
SLE15 Python 2.x will be deprecated [1], and Python 3.x will be the default
(these changes are already implemented at openSUSE Tumbleweed and will be
present at openSUSE 15)

In fact, in around two years, Python 2.x will go EoL [2].

Therefore we have scheduled effort on our side  to adapt cobbler for Python
3.x (see GitHub issue at [3]), and we are willing to send our changes to you
for a future Cobbler version (3.x?)

Right now we have in mind adapting everything with the exception of the web
(Django) stuff, so we understand it should be possible to have a pre-release
of this future Cobbler version while the web part is adapted.

However we would also to know if there is a current roadmap on your side for
3.x, so we can coordinate.

Otherwise maybe you can decide, or maybe we can discuss what to do to current
master (fork it to a 2.x branch and then start making changes to 3.x?).

Please let us know what think about the migration and how we can collaborate.

Kind regards,

--
Julio González Gil <jgonza...@suse.com>
Release Engineer