Ken Ecton and I headed out to Tamarack Ranch and Jumbo (aka Julesburg)
Reservoir today.  It was windier and colder than we would have liked but OK.

Highlights:
Logan Rd 55 where it crosses over the Platte River south of Iliff:
Eastern Bluebird (2)
Greater Yellowlegs (1)
Great Blue Heron (group of 9 huddled together on the bank)
Blue-winged Teal (1m)  FOS

Tamarack Ranch SWA (west of Logan Rd 81 south of Crook):
very little in the way of bird activity

Tamarack Ranch SWA (east of Logan Rd 81):
Red-bellied Woodpecker (at least 3)
Northern Cardinal (at least 2 heard)  it was too windy and cold for them to be
up singing or otherwise cooperative
Townsend's Solitaire (at least 3)
Sandhill Crane (maybe 20 individuals in one flock)
Wood Duck (19)
Mountain Bluebird (25)

Red Lion SWA:
American Pipit (1)

Jumbo Reservoir:
Glaucous Gull (1 first-winter)
Barrow's Goldeneye (1m)
Wood Duck (1)
White Pelican (few dozen birds)
Red-breasted Merganser (1 pair)
Snow Goose (maybe 50)
Ross's Goose (4)
Sandhill Crane (30)
Mountain Bluebird (75 or so)
American Tree Sparrow (8-10)
Say's Phoebe (1)
Ruddy Duck (at least 50)
good numbers of common dabbling and diving ducks, especially Common Goldeneyes,
Lesser Scaup, Green-winged Teal, and Northern Pintails
no swallows
no big groups of "white-cheeked" or White-fronted Geese
no loons
no big grebes
no kittiwakes or Ross's gulls

spectacular ice spray formations on trees growing along the south and east
shore of the res (nice photo ops)

Drive out and back thru the Pawnee Grasslands showed very good numbers of
Rough-legged Hawks, obviously moving north in better numbers than existed out
there this winter.  I would say we saw a total of maybe a dozen individuals,
maybe more.

Wish the weather had been a bit warmer and quieter so we could have maybe heard
Northern Bobwhite, Wild Turkey, longspurs, etc.

Weld County Landfill w of Ault on SR14 (in bare field to the south):
Franklin's Gull (2)  FOS

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins