I was in a meeting in Pueblo so didn't get to Brush Hollow Res until after 6
pm when the winds were strong and there were lots of fishermen (including a
few boats and several walmart rubber rafts) so I didn't have high hopes of
refinding the Red-throated Loon found this morning by Rich Miller.  I was
pleasantly surprised to spot a loon on the west side of this fairly small
reservoir.  After driving to the west side, I was rewarded with good views
of the loon for a few minutes until some fisherman flushed it out into the
center of the reservoir.  I did get one reasonable photo with my digital
camera (400 mm lens, 1.4 extender and some additional enlargement as my
camera is not full frame) that I have posted on my blog at
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com .

Also at Brush Hollow Res was a flock of at least 150, and more likely more
than 200, Lark Sparrows.  Though this species breeds in this area, I have
never seen so many before.  As many of the birds were singing it sounded
like an avian choir with them all singing the same song.

Another unusual occurance was a very late male Hooded Merganser near Canon
City just 2 days ago.

More normal are the fledgling Great Horned Owls in the area.  Interestingly
I heard an adult Great Horned Owl giving a vocalization that at first
sounded like a barking dog.  After watching the owl I wondered if the parent
bird was calling to it's offspring to entice them either out of the nest or
away from tree branches?

I also found a nest with 3 Curve-billed Thrasher young in natal down.
Though the nest is in a cholla cactus, a normal location, the area is within
50 feet of the Arkansas River in a generally riparian area surrounded by
fertile farmland with a small patch of cactus.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com

The Red-throated Loon that Rich Miller found is still being seen at Brush
Hollow Reservoir, near Penrose in Fremont County, as of about 15 minutes
ago.

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO